INTRODUCTION TO BLACKBOARD PORTFOLIOS – ONLINE MODULES

In my role as Educational Developer, I provide faculty and student support for the design and development of ePortfolios. This five-module online course was created to assist students in learning the technology associated with Blackboard Portfolios. The modules are self-paced with authentic assessments at the end of each module. Students submit a completed biography page as the assessment required at the end the fifth module and self-assess their portfolio page using a Blackboard course rubric.

The five modules in the Introduction to Blackboard Portfolios each contain objectives, tutorials, tasks, and assessments. I load the modules into each scheduled offering of Portfolio I and Portfolio II. Faculty who are using ePortfolio assignments can request the modules to be loaded into their course. The Introduction to Blackboard Portfolios is designed to integrate into the Full Grade Centre in the Learning Management System. In ARTS 299, students complete the Modules as part of the requirements for their course.

This resource supports faculty by separating the technology from the practice of ePortfolios so that faculty can focus on teaching using this High Impact Practice without worrying about being experts in the technology.

Navigation Panel

2) CREATOR

Introduction to Blackboard Portfolios

UFV-FACILITATING LEARNING ONLINE (UFV-FLO)

UFV-FLO is a four week online asynchronous course with scheduled synchronous sessions. The course is designed for UFV faculty who wish to improve or have little online teaching or online learning experience. The course covers four of the key components of an online course.

• In week one we build community
  • in week two we explore the characteristics of adult learners online
  • In week three we learn about team building
  • in week four we consider self-assessment and application

Using the tools available in Blackboard Learn and Blackboard Collaborate Ultra, FLO participants will experience being an online student and practice online facilitation in small groups.

Facilitating Learning Online (FLO) is a BC Campus initiative and an Open Educational Resource (OER). In 2015, I adapted the BC Campus version to the specific needs of faculty and re-designed it to be delivered on Blackboard Learn. During the pilot offering of the UFV-FLO, I collected comprehensive feedback form 9 UFV faculty who participated in the five-week online course. Using the feedback I re-designed it again to be offered in a shortened, more streamlined, four-week offering. The four-week FLO has been offered  to UFV Faculty 6 times in the past 2 years including one offering that was exclusively for UFV Chandigarh Faculty. In total,  67 faculty have participated in the UFV-FLO.